Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The stigma

I know I have always viewed people who had weight loss surgery with a certain amount of stigma. I think most people look at people who have had weight loss surgery as weak. Weak physically, mentally, and psychologically.

If they weren't weak they would be able to lose their excessive weight!

Well, I am a hypocrite.

Here I am, three weeks away from my consultation with a bariatric surgeon. I really think there is a cycle that prevents people who diet and exercise from maintaining their efforts and weight loss results.




For me, I have never been able to get past the wall. Anyone who has, they are better than I am.

So this leads me back to the stigma of weight loss surgery. Do I tell my family, friends and coworkers? Or do I just state, "Diet and exercise" when asked. Everyone always wants to know what someone did to lose weight. I also know that when people talk about someone who has had weight loss surgery it usually isn't very positive.

I think I will eventually tell some people in my life but I think I will leave a majority believing it was diet and exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment