Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Ups and the Downs

I want to end this on a positive note so I'll write about the bad first.

Really, I only have two complaints. They both revolve around food.

I'm three and a half weeks out and I'm still having issues with a lot of foods. I've had to purge myself four times in the past two weeks. I've discovered my stomach holds two tablespoons and not a drop more. I've vomited more in the last two weeks than I have in most of my adult life. It's not terrible but it's very discouraging.

Since I had such a terrible day yesterday I'm doing full-liquids today. I think that is a good policy.

And my second gripe, I'm still not able to figure out my portion size. Some days 1/3rd of a cup is just perfect, others it's excruciatingly too much food. I still think I'm eating too fast.

OK... now that that is over here is the good!

I've discovered Worldwide Pure Protein Shakes. It's so easy to get my daily protein. I have a shake for breakfast since I'm not much for food and I have a shake before I go to bed to give my body something to gnaw on while I sleep. The good part... 70g of protein is easy. I'm totally in love with the cookies and cream flavor. To me it tastes more like coconut than anything else. I also like the banana flavor.

My bowels are basically back to normal. This is very encouraging. The diarrhea was driving me nuts. I think they should warn patients pre-op that they will have rather significant diarrhea.

And my healing is still progressing rather well. Some days I have a slight twinge and others nothing at all. The bruising is 90% gone and my incisions are glue free.

But taking the bad in consideration with the good, I still do not regret what I have done. My habit is to consider the future is far more significant than the present and hopefully with enough time and "training" I will know my limits.

I do not regret this...

1 comment:

  1. The swelling in your tummy will be different on different days... the swelling makes you not be able to eat as much... it is totally common.. when it goes away completely in a few months you will think you are eating too much.. The slower you eat, the more likely you will be able to catch your "full" signal before you need to hurl... if it helps, get some baby spoons. I used them for my first 2 months.. You are totally normal! ;-) Keep up the good work.... good luck..

    Shasta

    ReplyDelete