Tuesday, May 5, 2009

First consultation complete

had an appointment today at 4pm to meet with the team at the center. I walked away accomplishing everything I needed to.

I have a date for surgery: 16 June. That's seven weeks from today... I was very surprised I could get it scheduled so soon.

I have a few steps to accomplish before the surgery.

1. Chest x-ray, blood work, and an endoscopy I will schedule tomorrow.
2. I have an appointment with the psychologist on 1 June.
3. I have two mandatory classes that I need to attend.

The mandatory classes I need to attend is the only snag in the entire process due to my summer college course conflicting with the class. I will have to see how the course is when I begin it next week and determine if special arrangements need to be made.

The surgeon recommended gastric sleeve but I'm not entirely sure I'm sold on the idea. I am more sold on the bypass. I'm pretty sure the surgeon recommended the sleeve due to my health insurance but it could have been because of clinical indicators i am not aware of.

I will have a recovery time / vacation from work for four to six weeks. That will get me through the post op dieting at home, which is most beneficial.

I will also have an 8 day pre-op diet which will consist of eating less than 1000 calories a day.

I'm frankly very satisfied with the experience I had with the program director, the surgeon, and the nurse. Everyone was very friendly and very informative. I definitely did not feel like I was being run through an assembly line type process or hurried along.

The nice thing about the staff at the office is three of them are RNY patients.

The next major thing is the Endoscopy. I'm seriously hoping it's not horrible. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment