Thursday, May 14, 2009

Weight Loss Surgery Class 1 of 2

Today from 4 until 6 I was required to attend a class covering the weight loss surgery.

The room was completely filled by the time I got there and extra tables and chairs had to be brought in to accommodate everyone. It was slightly obnoxious. I can understand bringing your support person but your entire family? Not necessary. I was expecting maybe 20 people tops, not fifty.

It was mostly middle-aged women and younger men. I was very surprised at the amount of VSG type surgeries scheduled. It was about 50/50. Which kind of leads me to believe that the surgeon is pushing VSG when RNY is just as acceptable. I have basically been beating myself up over why the surgeon would recommend VSG over RNY for me but from what I'm seeing that is his preference.

Here are some interesting statistics I learned today concerning VSG:
  • If the patients BMI is 45-49 weight loss results are the same for RNY and weight loss occurs at the same rate.
  • The size of the sleeve after the surgery is about two times the size of a drinking straw.
My concern about pushing the VSG at this point in time is the fact most insurance companies will not cover the surgery unless the patients BMI is greater than 50. I certainly qualify for coverage but the statistics seem slightly disadvantageous to me.

The class covered the general differences between surgery and what the patient needs to do to be successful with minimal complications. Strict adhearance to the post-op diet plan seemed to be the number one way to reduce surgical complications.

Here are the new things that I learned today:
  • The body can only utilize/absorb 30-35g of protein per meal.
  • RNY/Gastric Bypass basically eliminates diabetes for 85% of patients following surgery.
  • There will be no more chugging water.
  • NSAID's are not allowed after surgery because of their ulcer causing potential.
I basically knew NSAID's were not allowed after surgery but I have read conflicting information. I have not used acetaminophen based products for several years and I guess the next time I have a headache I will try it and see if it helps. Otherwise, I will go back on Midrin or try Fioricet which I have heard works very well for tension headaches.

The next class is supposed to cover vitamins, exercise, and post-operative recovery.

Here are some questions I would like answered during the next class:
  1. In their experience how long does it take someone to modify their eating habits (e.g. portion size, bite size, and frequency?)
  2. Do they recommend using a scale to measure food portions?

1 comment:

  1. fantastic topic taken. It gives me some more ideas to loose my own weight as well :)

    ReplyDelete