Sunday, June 14, 2009

The pre-surgical diet

Last Monday I started my pre-surgical diet. This diet consisted of five days of eating 1000 calories or less and then three days of clear liquids. I'm currently finishing day number one of clear liquids.

My thoughts so far, the liquid diet is much easier than the food phase of my diet. I found myself very hungry at times when I was trying to eat 1000 calories or less. I attempted to eat high volume low calorie foods such as broccoli, green beans, and lettuce. I tracked my caloric intake and decided to established my own recipes and portions. I did not eat Lean Cuisine or other processed foods due to the nutrient depletion, preservative usage, and increased sodium content.

On the liquid diet, my choices are very limited. But I have made choices that I feel are best suited to my eating habits.

I recently reviewed Designer Whey's Natural French Vanilla flavor protein powder. I will reiterate that this stuff is awesome. It dissolves very well and has no aftertaste.

My first day of liquid dieting has consisted of the following:

64 oz. Swanson Chicken Broth (120 calories)
19.5 oz. Cherry flavor sugar-free Jello (60 calories)
40 oz. Whole Milk (750 calories) [considered a "clear" liquid]
3 scoops protein powder (300 calories)

Total calories: 1230
Total protein: 68g

Considering a bulk of my calories came from drinking the whole milk, I will use skim milk.

The one thing I find amazing is that I am sitting here not hungry and feeling very satiated. I believe the key to the liquid diet is consuming a lot of liquids. However, if I compare this morning to other the previous five mornings I was so hungry I was miserable. I'm very hopeful that today and tomorrow will be equally pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment